One of my aspirations for the future is to complete my very own book. I can’t say that I have focused too much on the topic or much else in fact – but it is a dream I have.
However, and to my great surprise, I hadn’t quite appreciated how easy it is to get a book off the press these days. A rather clever service called Blurb does all the hardwork for you.
They provide Blurb Booksmart software that enables you to professionally format your content. This includes:
• Easy to make â€” Drag and drop images and text into hundreds of professionally designed layouts to create a book that reflects your style.
• Creative control â€” Design and edit your book`s text and photos with intuitive layout tools.
• Font support â€” Use all your own fonts in a variety of sizes and text styles.
• Easy image management â€” Keep track of the images in your book with the â€œMy Imported Photosâ€ library.
From your formatted text and images, blurb can then produce your bookstore quality book in a variety of sizes and types which include:
• Sizes can be from square 18 cm x 18 cm, right up to Large Format Landscape 33 cm x 28 cm.
• Softcover â€” Features durable perfect binding and 4-color, 12 pt. covers with an overlaminate. Printing is done on the front cover, back cover, and spine. There are no flaps.
• Hardcover, ImageWrap â€” Allows you to print an image directly on the front and back of any hardcover Blurb book, creating a smooth, sophisticated effect. ImageWrap covers feature a durable matte finish.
• Hardcover, Dust Jacket â€” Includes durable library binding and 8 pt. black linen hardcover cases with laminated 4-color dust jackets. The black linen hardcover case under the dust jacket does not have printing on it, nor does it allow for embossing.
Finally, Blurb can share promote and sell your finished product in:
• Public or private â€” Keep your books completely private, by invite-only, or share them with the world in our public bookstore.
• Sneak peek â€” Allow visitors to sample the first fifteen pages of your book at Blurb.com by turning on Book Preview.
• Get going with Google â€” Add a subtitle, description, category, and tags to increase your search engine rankings.
• Introduce yourself â€” Let everyone know more about the person behind your book by filling out your Author Profile.
• Profit â€” Set Your Price, sell your books in the Blurb Bookstore, and keep 100% of the markup. Yes, it`s that simple.
• Monitor your money â€” View your book`s up-to-the-minute sales and profits on Blurb.com.
All in all I think it’s an amazing package that would make a great gift for any aspiring author. Alternatively, why not make a glossy book of photos and text of a special occasion like a wedding? The options are intriguing.